- 06:27 big day today. polls already opened here at 6, half an hour ago. the sun is just starting to rise. #vtv #
- 06:34 need to finish getting ready, charging batteries, breakfast, and then meet rest of crew in half an hour or so. then it's out to film. #vtv #
- 09:24 Saw 2 guys w guns frm az state attny ofc hanging out @ s. Tucson pollng place. #Vtv - got footage. #
- 11:06 back at studio taking a break & catching up on news. looks like my last from phone tweet didn't make it. it's quiet in tucson. #vtv #
- 12:23 Couple of friends said lines were long wher thy votd right at opening but now no lines. #vtv #tucson #
- 12:48 ok this is weird. txt tweets are coming in way slow. #
- 12:48 back in studio to upload footage from 2 polling places in south tucson. #vtv #tucson #
- 13:05 Just checkd @ Grijalva?s hq and they say no reports of prblms - all quiet in tucson! #
- 13:24 messing with Compressor to get it to compress video the way Video The Vote wants it. #vtv #
- 13:52 watching mary capturing footage she and francesca shot of a polling place (church) with a yes on 102 sign on their main sign. #vtv #tucson #
- 16:55 taking a break and waiting for more reports of poll place troubles. things have been pretty quiet this afternoon. #tvt #tucson #
- 17:06 mccain "holding out from the bunker" acccording to CBS pundit just now. is that a reference to Hitler? #
- 17:12 only 11% of kentucky results in and they're already calling it mccain's? wtf? #
- 17:18 amazed at the blurring of the line between prediction and fact on TV coverage of the election. especially with onscreen graphics. #
- 17:23 looks like we're getting another video the vote assignment from our dispatcher... #vtv #tucson #
- 17:25 Retweet: #jennyholzer POLITICS IS USED FOR PERSONAL GAIN #
- 17:26 border patrol parked outside polling place on tangerine road! we're going out to get footage!! #vtv #tucson #immigration #intimidation #
- 18:14 I guess tucson not as quiet as we thot. Heading out 2 3 dif trouble sites! #Vtv #tucson #
For the first time in my life I'm proud of my country.
author: Luis Alberto Urrea
average rating: 4.02
book published: 2004
read at: 2005/11/10
date added: 2008/10/28
I read this when I first moved to Arizona and it gave me a healthy respect for the desert and a great sadness about the modern-day exodus across that desert that is happening.
Sad, shocking, inspiring, enraging book.
At a McCain rally some racist wingnuts were handing out weird Obama "Change" bumper stickers that had the muslim crescent and star as the "C" in the word change, and a soviet hammer and sickle. Muslim republicans and even some (more) rational conservatives confronted them on it. Here's a pretty good video about it by the American News Project:
Brian Boyce, one of my all-time favorite collage videomakers, weighs in with this quick and dirty Palin detournment:
Palin and McCain have to be defeated. They just have to be. I think they will be, but I admit that part of that optimism is denial, because the alternative is just too much to even think about.
I need to ask you to support an urgent secret business relationship with a transfer of funds of great magnitude.
I am Ministry of the Treasury of the Republic of America. My country has had crisis that has caused the need for large transfer of funds of 800 billion dollars US. If you would assist me in this transfer, it would be most profitable to you.
I am working with Mr. Phil Gram, lobbyist for UBS, who will be my replacement as Ministry of the Treasury in January. As a Senator, you may know him as the leader of the American banking deregulation movement in the 1990s. This transactin is 100% safe.
This is a matter of great urgency. We need a blank check. We need the funds as quickly as possible. We cannot directly transfer these funds in the names of our close friends because we are constantly under surveillance. My family lawyer advised me that I should look for a reliable and trustworthy person who will act as a next of kin so the funds can be transferred.
Please reply with all of your bank account, IRA and college fund account numbers and those of your children and grandchildren to firstname.lastname@example.org so that we may transfer your commission for this transaction. After I receive that information, I will respond with detailed information about safeguards that will be used to protect the funds.
Yours Faithfully Minister of Treasury
Hah. Heh. Ugh.
OMG, I just discovered this amazing, perfect rant that comedian Margaret Cho wrote, responding to what some Xian fundamentalists were saying about her after she wrote some critical stuff about Sarah Palin. It's the best. I never really paid much attention to her work but now I'm totally a fan.
Anyway, read it here: http://www.margaretcho.com/blog/2008/09/17/im-a-christian-you-fuckers.html
And btw, that's where it originally appeared, on Cho's blog. I'm glad that Sarah Benincasa (of Sarah Palin Vlog fame) referred to it and reposted it, but she didn't link to it, she just said it was on Cho's facebook page. So then I had to go hunting around on Facebook and after about 20 clicks of that, putting more money in the bank for the CIA or whoever really runs Facebook, I finally found it but found that it was a repost from Cho's actual blog. I would much rather link to her blog than lame Facebook so that's what I'm doing. yay. I guess I'm just a stickler for hypertextuality. Anticorporate hypertextuality.
Check out this BraveNewFilms video clearly illustrating the distortions and falsehoods that the McCain campaign is spewing:
This is hilarious stuff. Sarah Palin is such great comedy fodder...